Monday, May 30, 2016

Diagrams and Whiteboards

While so much is made of technology and how all these fancy gadgets/programs/apps can help students, sometimes it is good to remember the what I like to think of as the Golden Rule of Teaching: "Don't reinvent the wheel"

Students using their laptops and whiteboards to
practice drawing monetary policy diagrams.
One of the best things I "borrowed" from another teacher was utilizing whiteboards to help students practice drawing of the various diagrams they are responsible for. Over the past two years I have implemented this policy I have seen an incredible amount of growth with many of students and their ability to draw diagrams. Again this seems pretty straight forward, but I thought I would share a couple of the strategies I use in my class.

  1. Quick Formative Assessment - As the students are drawing their diagrams on their whiteboards I am able to go around the classroom checking/pointing out mistakes or misconceptions they may have. Even better I am able to point to students who have done it correctly to show a near by classmate what I am talking about. Sometimes I will even hold a student's in front of the class to show everyone. The first few times we do them I allow them to have their laptops out, but as we get closer to a quiz or test I have them do it by memory or at least as much as they know.
  2. Practice Making Out - In my experience students often can be careless with their diagrams, not centering them or making them large enough. One of the ridiculous and helpful reminders I use with my students is to make their diagrams "make out worthy." Students should find their diagrams so 'attractive' that they want to 'make out with them'. Yes beauty is on the inside, but we know that someone else will be assessing their final exam. Therefore all labels, arrows, lines, etc. should clear and distinguished. I also remind them that all diagrams should be dynamic and be demonstrating change. One of the many jokes I have for my classroom is "Would you make out with that diagram?" It helps reinforce the point that their diagrams are important and should be draw with care.
  3. Explain it to me - After the students have finished with their drawing I chose a few random students to explain what is happening in their diagram(s). This is especially useful as students might use different models or interpret a prompt differently.
  4. Repetition is the key - You can't just pull the whiteboards out the day before the test and expect results. The students need to practice, practice, practice. Generally I start off each class with "Whiteboard Work". Students are informed to pick up a whiteboard as they enter class. After class announcements we will complete a few problems together. Out of the three days I see my students we generally use our whiteboards for at least two of those classes. Generally speaking four to five problems takes 15-20 minutes. All revision classes also typically are heavily composed of white board use. Below are some basic problems I pose to my students to have them draw their diagrams. These are some of my more general ones, but recently I have started incorporating examples from articles/videos that we have done in class.
Whiteboard Work

  • Using both loanable funds and AD/AS diagram, demonstrate the crowding out effect.
  • Using all three relevant diagrams, demonstrate contractionary monetary policy.
  • Recently France has been attempting labor market reforms. What type of supply side policy is this and draw the diagram.


Again this practice is nothing new for many teachers, however it has been such a strong tool for my students and I. So if you are already using them in your class hopefully you picked up a new idea and for those that aren't using them, make sure you get them for next school year.


No comments:

Post a Comment