Friday, May 20, 2016

Feedback With Student Exemplars

As previously mentioned, one of my goals this year was to give more constructive and meaningful feedback. Although I comment regularly on my students work, one strategy that has really paid off is the use of student exemplars.

Image result for scan pro 7
Scan Pro logo from Itunes Store
Throughout the year my students regularly struggle with properly structuring their writing (paragraphs, topic sentences, etc.), explaining economic theory and finally, effectively incorporating real world examples we have used in class. In teaching 37- Year 1 students, there is a wide spectrum of learners, some of which, are stronger writers than others. When I give written assessments back to students, they are typically accompanied by student exemplars of those who scored well on the rubric. This allows me to direct students who are struggling towards an example of a well written response.  

In the past I would've had to go down to the copier and scan these documents in, while converting them to .pdf files. However, a colleague of mine showed me Scanner Pro (they are on version 7 as of this post) and it has really simplified the process of providing students with great exemplars. The process is pretty straightforward as you use the phone app to take a picture of the document which then converts the picture into a .pdf file. The app allows you to instantly upload the files to a variety of sources including GDrive, Evernote, and simple email. Typically I put the files on my GDrive and hyperlink them in my presentations that are shared with the students. Finally, I give my students anywhere from 10-20 minutes when assessments are passed back to ask questions and examine student exemplars.

I have been using this app for the past two years now and I believe at some point I bought the pro version for $3.99. Scan Pro has a free version which you can try before you buy, but I have definitely received the full value with my purchase.

One of the other strategies that I have found to increase student engagement is using as many students as possible when showing exemplars. Although it is always anonymous, handwriting is quite distinctive and they will quickly find out who's work at which they are looking. Speaking from my experience it is quite rewarding to watch the face of a student who might not expect their work to be shared. Even sharing a specific part or piece of a student's work, an intro paragraph for example, can be a powerful message to your students that you find their work meaningful.

Whether you are using the copier down the hall or a different app hopefully this idea will encourage you to share student work with your classes. It sends a strong message to your students and is one more way to provide effective feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment